Flights to Volos: that’s why!
• Important Greek port
• Wonderful setting at the foot of Mount Pilio
• A must-drink: tsipouro
• Dolce far niente at Anavros Beach
Tips for your stay in Volos
Typically Greek: tsipouroIn Volos there are hundreds of Tsipouradika or Ouzeri, taverns where you can taste tsipouro and other beverages. This authentic Greek liquor is usually served with delicious meze, mostly fresh seafood. Tip: be sure to go for a drink in a Tsipouradika near the harbour, where you will enjoy a pleasant atmosphere and a nice view.
Sights: our top 3Volos may be a modern city, Greece has plenty of traces of antiquity. Another reason to book a flight to Volos! We have listed the most beautiful spots for you:
1. The University of Thessaly. This university is housed in a former tobacco warehouse dating from 1935 and is located on the promenade near the harbour. Nearby, you can visit Argo, a replica of the famous ship on which Jason and the Argonauts sailed to Colchis to retrieve the Golden Fleece. It seats 50 rowers and is nearly 30 m long.
2. Various churches. Agios Nikolaos is a unique Byzantine church thanks to its marble reliefs and wonderful bell tower on the courtyard. Also visit Agios Konstantinos, Agia Metamorphosis and Agia Triada where you can take in the mystical atmosphere and admire the wonderful icons.
3. The archaeological museum. This neoclassical building was constructed in 1909 and displays objects found at the ancient settlements of Sesklo and Dimini, whose ruins are worth a visit as well.
Did you know...…famous musician and composer Vangelis was born in Volos?
…Volos is one of the 4 Greek cities where football matches were played during the 2004 Summer Olympics?
From Volos to Larissa and SkiathosVolos is located in the heart of Greece, about halfway between Athens and Thessaloniki, the country’s largest cities. Approximately 60 km northwest of Volos, Larissa is the capital of the Thessaly region. Be sure to visit the acropolis on the hill, the remnants of two theatres and the archaeological museum. A bit further away, almost 80 km from Volos, lies the green island of Skiathos. It is part of the Sporades archipelago and can be reached by ferry. Take a look in the Evangelistria Monastery located on top of a hill and the ruins of Kastro, the castle that once served as a refuge for many. The coastline is dotted with picturesque coves, sandy beaches and white houses.
* Prices per person, one way. Airport taxes included. Booking period from 15/05/18 until 03/04/19. Departure period from 15/05/18 till 03/04/19. Limited number of seats. When fully booked, higher price will apply. This list of promotions is updated frequently (the time of update is displayed hereunder, next to "Last modified"). There is only a limited number of seats available at the promotional rate. When fully booked, higher price may apply.